[Centos] 3.3 -> 3.4 transition

donavan nelson donavan at 4wx.net
Tue Jan 11 06:25:57 UTC 2005

>> well in fact 3.4 will actually go to 3/ and we will be moving the old
>> repos for 3.1 & 3.3 to an old-updates directory that isnt mirrored.
>>
>> 3.1 & 3.3 will become symlinks to 3/ and anyone that updates will get 3.4
>>
>> centos-release will have version 3/ and epoch 2 to facilitate this
>> transition.
>>
>> This is to become dag compatible and to make updates easier.
>
> This is IMHO good news but before it happens, will there be an
> announcement so I can fix my rsync scripts?

It's happening now (with CentOS 3.4).  In 2-3 days when Lance drops the
correct files in the older trees.

> Also, can someone clarify what I need to do here:
> Lets say I have a few machines which have never been patched.  Some 3.1,
> some 3.3 and some 3.4.  Is there a single directory that I can point
> them all at to get all the patches that they all need?

You should be able to point them all at a 3.4 repository and get them
updated.  You will have to manually install a few packages....  I'm sure
you've seen and saved the messages.  Your yum.conf might get run over
(but saved).  Once you have a 3.4 repo built (as it sounds like you are
using a local mirror) you should be on your way to getting caught up.

Good luck, you can always find willing helpers in #centos.... :P

.dn