[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Jul 4 11:43:57 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

>> Why?  Are there THAT many of these boxes laying around to overcome
>> the PITA factor of generating a new release?
>

> Er...  I have an E150 in my basement.  One of the two power supplies
> died couple of months ago, so it is collecting dust right now.  I was
> playing with Aurora (rebuild of Fedora Core for sparc64), Debian and
> OpenBSD while it was still in usable condition.  If it was still
> working, I'd give CentOS a try as soon as it was released ;-)

I have a pair of ultra 5's that are currently being used as bookends in
my office.  I don't think either of them has been powered on in 3-4
years.  They do a great job of keeping the books straight.  8-)  I had
some E250 and E450 machines that I believe got donated to a local school
a while back.  I'm not sure if they continued to run Slowlaris on them
or if they installed some incarnation of Linux.  I figure any remotely
modern laptop could probably compute rings around any of these boxes
with much lower power usage, cooling and space requirements.

Now when CentOS runs on a PDP-11, that might be worth a trip to the
attic to see if THAT still runs.  8-)

Cheers,