[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Jul 4 12:31:38 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz wrote:
> I have a pair of ultra 5's that are currently being used as bookends in
> my office.  I don't think either of them has been powered on in 3-4
> years.  They do a great job of keeping the books straight.  8-)

Well, you know, not every application requires processors in 2 or 3 GHz
range.  I used to run my basement mail server (just couple of accounts)
on 200MHz Pentium MMX until recently (upgraded to 500 MHz Celeron).
Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP.  And it was running resonable.  Currently I'm
using it as a dedicated firewall box in my home setup.  The before
mentioned E150 (wich is first generation of Sun's UltraSparc
workstations/servers, U5 is the second) was happily running squid proxy
server (moved to that 500 MHz box, but only because E150 hardware
failed, and even if I had new power supply for the thing, replacing it
would be almost one-day job, terribly designed case, and my house seems
plesently quiet after that anyhow).

So, there's still some usage for those old boxes (other than bookends).