[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU -- any chance this thread will end?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 4 16:17:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 07:43 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> I'm not sure if they continued to run Slowlaris on them or if they
> installed some incarnation of Linux.

Could we stop this bigotry?

Until someone can demonstrate Linux runs on 2 or even 4-way systems as
good as Solaris, I would rather not hear this chest pounding junk.

> I figure any remotely modern laptop could probably compute rings
> around any of these boxes with much lower power usage, cooling and
> space requirements.

Ummm, I would actually very much _differ_ with that for many
applications.  Most notebook processors have very limited interconnects
and greatly reduced performance for power, as well as slower memory,
disk, etc..., typically resulting in only 1/2 - 1/3rd the nominal power
of a desktop (especially when on battery and a P4 or an older Athlon
slows to under 1GHz).

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->