[CentOS] ftp daemon problem

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Fri Jul 8 01:02:04 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 10:38 pm, Barry Brimer wrote:

> Is there any NAT involved on the client or server end?  If so, are
> you using ip_nat_ftp and ip_conntrack_ftp?

The above lines led me in the right direction.

I needed to load ip_conntrack_ftp.  My firewall, the "kiss" firewall (it
manages netfilter through iptables) was attempting to load
ip_conntrack_ftp.o, instead of ip_conntrack_ftp.ko.

One letter fix to the kiss firewall code, and the active/passive problem
fixed.

> > When we turn off our firewall (which allows passive under CentOS 3
> > on a 2.4 kernel) we don't get the connection timeout on passive
> > transfers, but we still get the 533.
> >
> > Any ideas where we should go from here?
>
> Long shot.  Does your FTP server chroot your users?  If so, the
> remote end may not be able to handle /home/jlasman/<filename> because
> it would already see /home/jlasman as / and therefore would require a
> home and home/jlasman to be able to place the file where you have
> indicated.

It was simpler and stupider...

Once I got the active/passive thingy fixed, I still had the 553 error,
so I switched the user to the bash shell.  Then I didn't have the 553
error anymore.

But I knew that the nologin shell should have worked as well, since it's
listed in /etc/shells.

So I changed the /etc/passwd file back to use the nologin shell, and it
worked.  So I must have had a typo in the /etc/passwd file last night.

So for now I'm (again and still) happy with CentOS 4.

Thanks everyone!

<smile>

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA  92408