[CentOS] Install Problems Centos 4.1

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jul 21 13:03:59 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 21.07.2005 schrieb Peter Farrow um 10:03:

> I have a K8S-MX Asus Athlon 64 Motherboard with a 754 pin 3000+ CPU,
> which I cam trying to install 4.1 Centos 64 bit.
>
> The problem seems to arise when installing onto Mirrored disks,  I have
> noticed that from Centos 4 onwards it tries to rebuild the arrays as it
> installs which slows the whole process right down across all platforms I
> have tried it on.

Don't know whether I understand you correctly, but RAID1 array sync is
started with firstboot after the installation finished.

> In addition, the install process bails out at random times with random
> errors eg.  "Disk Full", "error loading this package or that package",
> Error reading DVD etc... now I have burnt several copies of the DVD,
> tested them fully, tried installing from CD, even changed the hardware
> to a twin Opteron system, changed the RAM changed this disks and tried
> everything but it still seems really touch and go as to wether the
> install will complete.
>
> I haven't managed it yet on the Asus platform it took about 12 goes on
> the opteron platform.  Yet Centos 3.4 installs no problem.

That can be caused by bad cabling (length + quality) because kernel 2.6
is more sensible for standards. It can too help to deactivate DMA during
install with: linux ide=nodma.

> Finally the last straw was the boot loader problem with occurs either
> immediately after reboot after install or on one of the boots soon
> after, and I have to do this to fix it:

That is a known issue and filed in bugzilla.redhat.com. Didn't happen
for my platform, grub was correctly installed, just not placed into both
RAID1 drive's MBRs.

> Pete

Alexander

Serendipity 15:00:10 up 5 days, 19:32, load average: 0.23, 0.45, 0.26