[CentOS] Re: Tyan Thunder K8SE S2892 Report

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jul 28 23:26:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 16:08 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> This PSU does have a flexible setup. The "24" pin connector actually
> separates into 20-pin and 4-pin connectors. I believe that's what you'd
> use on a regular ATX board.

Not exactly.  While 20-pin ATX[1.0] and ATX12V (aka P4) as well as 24-
pin ATX2.0 all share the same, base 20-pin, I'm not entirely sure EPS12V
is the same as ATX2.0.

I believe there is a converter or partial cable used for EPS12V to ATX
[1.0|12V|2.0].  I could be wrong though.  Never tried it.

> This is in addition to the EPS 8-pin connector.

Yep, the 2x4 SSI Server pin-out.

> At this point we're doing tower cases (and UPS's) sitting on shelves.
> I'd love to have a pretty rack, but I wanted the dual-Opteron rig more. :)

I still deliver rackmounts even when I don't mount them in a rack so the
option is always there for the client.  I won't worry about mounting or
rails, but at least it's already in a rack.

> Looks like the 2.6.12.3 kernel has the latest driver. And if I read
> 3Ware's site correctly, the 2.26 driver includes the firmware.

That depends.  One way you can check and compare is to compare your POST
string to the versions listed in the README of release 9.2.0:
http://www.3ware.com/download/Escalade9000Series/9.2/9.2_Release_Notes_Web.pdf

I see the "3w-9xxx_fw.h" included in the EL kernels, but that doesn't
mean it's getting built with it.  I'll have to check the config
defaults.  I always just upgrade my manually so there's no issue.  If
your POST looks good, then that's all you need.

> I'm not using the GUI tool at all. Come on! I'm a *real* man! :)

The 3DM2 is a nice monitoring tool.  I can be setup to page you via e-
mail, send out alerts, etc... when you have a failure.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->