[CentOS] Running another gnome or kde on virtual console [SOLVE]

Mark Belanger mark_belanger at ltx.com
Sun Jul 31 12:53:58 UTC 2005

ijez wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>To start gnome on :1 -
>>  1. Hit ctrl-alt-F2 to get to virtual console 2
>>  2. Run xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session -- :1
>>  3. Use ctrl-alt-F7 to get to :0 and ctrl-alt-F8 to get to :1 , etc
>>
>>To start kde on :1 :  1
>>. Hit ctrl-alt-F2 to get to virtual console 2
>>  2. Run xinit /usr/bin/startkde -- :1
>>  3. Use ctrl-alt-F7 to get to :0 and ctrl-alt-F8 to get to :1 , etc
>>

> This work just great! as far as this thread is concern, it was solve.
> I think I do the right thing by choosing CentOS as my new platform for Windows replacement :)
>
> Is there any trick or tip if I want to start gnome or kde automagicaly when I switch to virtual console?

That I don't know.
You could make it easier to do by creating aliases for starting
the extra displays i.e.:
alias kde1="xinit /usr/bin/startkde -- :1"
alias gnome2="xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session -- :1"

Alternately you could add an entry like this to your
.bashrc file
mytty=`tty`
# start icewm automagically if we are logged into console 2.
# Give a 5 second grace period to abort with ctrl-c
if [[ $mytty = "/dev/tty2" ]] ; then
   echo "Starting icewm.  Hit ctrl-c to abort"
   sleep 5
   xinit /usr/bin/icewm -- :1
fi

Not to point out the obvious - but you don't have to run a whole
desktop on these alternate displays.  You run say a game, or a web
browser in fullscreen mode, or an openoffice presentation in fullscreen
mode, etc, etc, etc.

-Mark