[CentOS] installation count?

Fri Jun 3 00:05:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 12:26 -0600, Greg Knaddison wrote:

<snip>
> There's a couple of flaws with a "distinct IP" count:
>
> 1. Not all servers get updated (I know of 3 or 4 CentOS servers that
> probably haven't been updated in months.
> 2. One machine can get multiple IPs
> 3. Many machines can look line one IP

Right ...

One big issue also is that the distinct IPs measured were only updates
done to CentOS mirrors ... any updates done from external mirrors are
not counted in any way ... so, that number is probably low by a large
factor.

Just some other numbers to look at:

Bittorrent ISOs downloaded in 2 months:  32778
(that doesn't include any ISOs downloaded from external mirrors)

CentOS.org website traffic rating at alexa.com:  36,829
(that is better than several big name distros like Knoppix, Slackware,
Xandros, Mepis, PCLinuxOnline, etc.)

Average traffic out of CentOS mirrors is 16.5 TB per Month.