[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- LSB 2.1 Core Generic Section 8.5

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jun 3 05:20:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 00:25 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> Linux IS NOT a GNU operating system. Linux is Linus Pet Project,
> and thats all.

Linux _is_ a GNU system.  I'm not just saying that like Stallman to get
more recognition for GNU.  It _is_ a GNU platform, very different than
legacy BSD or AT&T System V bases.  It's _very_important_ to know this.

Although many "GNU Compatible Systems" use the GNU Compiler Collection
(GCC), at the heart of _any_ GNU system are the GNU C Libraries (GLibC).
That's really a _major_, _technical_ detail!

And then there are the standard utilities and other components that
replace the legacy BSD and AT&T ones.  Once again, hallmarks of a GNU
system, quite different than legacy BSD and AT&T.

> Linux is not even an operating system, it is just a Kernel

Combined with the GNU system.  Not legacy BSD or AT&T code, but GNU
code.  This is a very, very, _very_ important technical detail.

> and, again, it is not a GNU Kernel. HURD is a GNU kernel.

Never said it was the GNU HURD Microkernel.  But Linux is still a GNU
system, designed by Linus to be a GNU system.  This is _technical_ fact,
not some Stallman marketing consideration.

> A Linux distribution (exception being Debian) is not more a GNU
> operating system than a X11/BSD/Name-Your-License Operating system.

My God, so you _are_ about "brand name" and not "technical accuracy."
You are so focused on marketing and not reality.

What makes Debian's Linux distribution more of a GNU system than
the others?  The branding "Debian GNU/Linux"?

Dude, this is technical fact.  One of the things I have worked with
engineers on in the defense industry is support, building, cross
compilers, tools, etc... for countless platforms.  It's a technical fact
from a developer/integrator standpoint that Linux is a GNU system.

With respect to GNU, there are 3 types of UNIX platforms:
- GNU Systems (HURD, Linux)
- GNU Compatible Systems (BSD, SunOS/Solaris, most newer BSD variants)
- Non-GNU Compatible Systems (several UNIX flavors)

GNU grew up on SunOS/Solaris, so SunOS/Solaris is a GNU Compatible
System.  Modern 4.4BSDLite-based systems also tend to be GNU Compatible
Systems.

I have developed on other, GNU Compatible Systems, VxWorks being a major
one.  It is largely BSD-based, although designed more for real-time
(long story), but is also GNU Compatible.

Linux _is_ a GNU System, because it was built from the "ground up" on
clean-room GNU tools, libraries, etc..., unlike BSD or SunOS.  And
getting back to my _original_point_, that's why Linux has been
influenced by SunOS/Solaris.

> Can you elaborate, please.

I did before in a previous message.

In Solaris, 2 is multiuser, 3 is X.
Many Linux distros are similar.

In anything RHL/FC-based, 2 is multiuser no NFS, 3 is multiuser, 5 is X.
This is also the LSB recommendation.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->