[CentOS] screen fonts

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Jun 18 10:32:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Fr, den 17.06.2005 schrieb Ryan um 4:53:
>
> > Does anyone know of any programs capable of fine tuning my screen
> > display settings? I'm using the NVIDIA drivers, and everything is
> > slightly blurry - regardless of how much (or little) I set anti-aliasing to.
>
> Get the freetype src.rpm from a CentOS mirror and rpmbuild it with the
> change of the default setting
>
> %define without_bytecode_interpreter    1
>
> to be BCI enabled (1 => 0). Probably your fonts will look much smarter
> afterwards.

Only if you have the right fonts. I made the mistake of releasing an
updated freetype package with BCI enabled and it caused terrible fonts for
those people that do not have properly hinted TTF fonts (those are
actually rare, except for a few fairly recent Microsoft fonts).

If you enable BCI you're disabling anti-aliasing for the fonts that don't
come with proper hinting. And that's the problem. If there was a way to
have anti-aliasing for fonts that lack proper hinting and still have BCI
for the others, we would have the best of both worlds.

In the meantime I have replace the freetype package by one with BCI back
disabled.