[CentOS] Buffer I/O error when booting

Jean Lee jean.lee at free.fr
Wed Jun 22 15:51:18 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a problem with my server :

Sometimes, this server is used to stop running. It doesn't shut down but
it stops running (with a noise on the hard drive) and there's no other
way to shut down than pushing the power button during a long time. I
don't think that it comes from the hard drive because I have the same
effect with two hard drives.

Here comes the best : Today it stops running during boot procedure and
now, when I reboot the server, I have the following error message :

Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 0
Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 1
Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 2
Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 3
Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 5
Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 0
etc...

I have two questions :

Is there a way to recover data on /dev/hda2 ? (I tried linux rescue but
it didn't find the linux installation)
Is there a way to know why the server stops suddenly to run ?

Thank you for any help,

Jean LEE