[CentOS] Stability, if that's the word (was Re: How fouled-up can you get??)

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 24 17:02:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:31:35 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Steering this towards something that is at least slightly on topic, I
> run my own e-mail servers on CentOS4 (using the easily understood
> sendmail; easily understood compared to what I used 14 years ago when I
> first 'registered' lorc.uucp in the Bad Old Days of dialup uucp).
>
> I have, let's see, 24 e-mail addresses, [....]

You, Sir!, are obviously a real dyed in the wool, simon pure quill,
hundred percent genuine Alpha Double Plus Technoid -- and a connoisseur of
hardware to boot. I salute you!

I will watch for advice from you in particular if I do decide to switch to
CentOS, most especially about a mailserver; once I manage to network my
machines at all, I'd like to set one up.

As for me, I don't even speak hardware. I ran RedHat 6.0 through 9 before
Fedora, by the seat of my pants and the help of the Net.

I'm on this list because I'm getting near the end of my rope after a good
dozen installs, upgrades, and re-installs just since Fedora first came
out. It changes too fast for me -- in fine and admirable ways, but I can't
keep up. I'll install FC4 when the installation media get here, and that
may be it.

So, getting back to the real topic, I'm especially interested in matters
of stability, if that's the term of art: CentOS is basically a clone of
RHEL without the price nor the phone support -- right? I ran boughten RH,
and had RHN all those years, and never picked up a phone. RedHat's
updates, and help from online, kept it on an even keel.

Gretchenfrage : is it looking like an electronically ignorant old retired
fart will be able to install CentOS, set each machine to do nightly yum
update, and go back to doing what he does, maybe for a year or two at a
time? The learning curve at least ought to be minimal, for a RedHat
refugee ...

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1-3, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2; Privoxy 3.0.3;