[CentOS] Removing custom kernels?

Mon May 9 15:08:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 07:50 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> Is this possible. I did my first one yesterday in order to get my iPod
> mini to work with the EL kernel. It worked well. Everything went
> smoothly, but I don't like what I named it. So I'd like to take one more
> shot at it. If I do, is there a way to remove the old one cleanly?
> Modules and everything.
>
> Also, if do recompile the kernel again, do I need fresh source, or can I
> just do a make clean, rename the setting in the Makefile for the name,
> then go through all the usual steps.

Yes ... make clean, change the name in the Makefile, redo what you want
and build.

There is no way to remove it automatically (if you didn;t make it as an
RPM) ... but it should be fairly easy since all the modules should be
in /lib/modules/kernel_name (so after you reboot on your new kernel and
it works, remove that /lib/modules directory) ... and everything else
you need to remove should be in /boot (the initrd-xxxx.img and vmlinuz-
xxxxx).