[CentOS] Newbie Query about Centos: where it is going...

Mon May 30 11:34:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 07:20 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 03:42, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> > This link does not tell about future of CentOS. I ask again...Will
> > CentOS always retain 100% compatibility with RHEL, aside from
> > contribs & addons which will remain seperate from the main distro and
> > will be installed on user selection only.
>
> How can you ask that when you're not paying anything for it? This assurance
> has some value, and that's what Red Hat is selling.

I can tell you that the base CentOS will always be RHEL SOURCES (plus
yum for doing updates).  That is for for any CentOS version (present or
in the future).

As long as the upstream providers release source to the public, CentOS
will track it.  We will not upgrade the Base CentOS (except through the
optional CentOS Plus repo for some items).

So, If you install CentOS and not Extras or CentOS Plus, you have only
the versions from currently released upstream source and our mechanism
for updates (yum/createrepo).