[CentOS] New Standard/Daylight time-change dates in rhel4u2 but not centos4.2?

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 7 19:06:14 UTC 2005

s.davison at computer.org wrote:

>>From a login on a machine with rhel4u2
>I can execute the following commands and get
>the indicated output:
>
>date --date="Mar 25 15:00:00 UTC 2006"
>    Sat Mar 25 10:00:00 EST 2006
>
>date --date="Mar 25 15:00:00 UTC 2007"
>    Sun Mar 25 11:00:00 EDT 2007
>
>As you can see, the output differs for 2006 and 2007.  That
>indicates that rhel4u2 includes changes required by the
>"Energy Policy Act of 2005," which mandates new dates for
>transition between Standard Time and Daylight Saving Time
>starting in 2007.
>
>If I do the same thing on a machine with
>"CentOS release 4.2 (Final)", I get the following output:
>
>date --date="Mar 25 15:00:00 UTC 2006"
>    Sat Mar 25 10:00:00 EST 2006
>
>date --date="Mar 25 15:00:00 UTC 2007"
>    Sun Mar 25 10:00:00 EST 2007
>
>So it looks as if CentOS4.2 does not yet have that change.
>
>Is that correct?  Or is there perhaps some installation
>parameter that I have missed in installing CentOS4.2?
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Stowe Davison

Works fine in the US Central time zone:

    [rj at mavis ~]$ date --date="Mar 25 15:00:00 UTC 2006"
    Sat Mar 25 09:00:00 CST 2006
    [rj at mavis ~]$ date --date="Mar 25 15:00:00 UTC 2007"
    Sun Mar 25 10:00:00 CDT 2007

Do you have tzdata-2005m-1.EL4 installed?

    [rj at mavis ~]$ rpm -qi tzdata
    Name        : tzdata                       Relocations: (not
    relocatable)
    Version     : 2005m                             Vendor: CentOS
    Release     : 1.EL4                         Build Date: Fri 07 Oct
    2005 06:03:09 AM CDT
    Install Date: Wed 19 Oct 2005 11:56:56 AM CDT      Build Host:
    x8664-build.home.local
    Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
    tzdata-2005m-1.EL4.src.rpm
    Size        : 655994                           License: GPL
    Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 07 Oct 2005 08:48:38 AM CDT, Key ID
    a53d0bab443e1821
    Packager    : Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
    Summary     : Timezone data
    Description :
    This package contains data files with rules for various timezones around
    the world.
    [rj at mavis
    ~]$