[CentOS] correct way to migrate old data on hda to new sda

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 22:13:47 UTC 2005

Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> I am migrating off of a 40GIG hda to a new 160GIG sda disk.
> I plan on installing 4.2 from scratch. But after that what
> is the correct way do transfer all the data from hda (home
> partition really) to the new sda home partition?

 # mkdir /newhome
 # mount /dev/sda1 /newhome  (assuming it's sda1)
 # cd /home
 # find . -mount | cpio -pmdv /newhome

> I presume there is just a couple files in /etc to restore
> also. Like hosts, passwd. Anything else?

_Be_careful_ on blindly copying things from /etc.  That's why
I use RCS (ci -l filename) after anytime I edit a file.  So I
can do something like this ...

 # cd /etc
 # find . -mount | grep -i "\,v" | cpio -pmdv /newroot/etc

That copies all version files (,v) to the new /etc.  Then I
can run "rcsdiff" to see the differences between the new
files and my original ones (without blowing away the original
ones).