[CentOS] GDM problem

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:40:10 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, Jack Bailey <jack at internetguy.net> wrote:

> >>/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf?  I looked at that for awhile, and for grins I
> >>changed:
> >>
> >>GraphicalTheme=Default
> >>
> >>to:
> >>
> >>GraphicalTheme=Bluecurve
> >>
> >>It's now complaining about icon-language.png instead of background.png.
> >>

> >Did you try yum remove gdm && yum install gdm ?
> >

> No, I hadn't retried that, so I just did now.  No change.  The problem
> is somewhere else, somewhere in a recent update.  I now have another
> server doing the same thing.

I haven't run into this problem with any of our upgrades, but there
are a couple things you can check. Make sure that (and I'm making the
grand assumption of centos4 here) libpng is installed, that in
/etc/sysconfig/selinux SELINUXTYPE is set to targeted and not strict
(if it's enabled at all), and that the permissions on the directory
are as they should be. A quick way to check the files would be to rpm
-Vv gdm (man rpm, under verify section for what the different results
mean) and see what it if anything it marks as altered. You might also
consider doing this to redhat-artwork, since this is the package that
actually contains the theme that's breaking.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT