[CentOS] A minor beef

Tue Nov 29 15:10:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 08:42 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 03:09, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
> > The _context_ of this _entire_ thread is about what CentOS can and
> > cannot redistribute, which leads to the reason why you have to use DAG
> > or any other repository, which leads to added issues with updates aka
> > "repository hell", etc...  9 times out of 10, when I have an update
> > issue, it is a conflict between 2 or more repositories I did _not_ know
> > about (and it is not quickly
>
> Part of this could be fixed if the third party repositories would
> make the effort to split items that do/don't replace core components.
> There are some packages that require updated libraries or versions
> compiled with non-standard options, but that doesn't apply to
> anything mentioned so far.   A third party repository could work
> like livna does for fedora, requiring the stock core/extras to
> also be used for dependencies instead of replacing any stock
> libraries with potentially incompatible versions.   If the apps
> that actually require conflicting libraries were split out to
> a different repository you could avoid them unless you were willing
> to take the risk.

The new protectbase plugin (currently in testing):

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2005-November/000947.html

will also help with the issue of third party repos updating core
components.

If you use this plugin and set all the centos repos to:

protect=1

and set your 3rd party repos to

protect=0

You will prevent upgrades of core components ...

This might cause an error IF a core component HAS to be upgraded to meet
a valid dependency ... but then you could manually do those and exclude
them from the core centos repo ... and from that point forward, get
those from the 3rd party repo.