[CentOS] Hosed by 4.2

Syv Ritch centos at 911networks.com
Mon Oct 17 14:48:35 UTC 2005

Lamar Owen wrote:

> Same symptoms you have.  I worked around it by disabling rhgb on the boot line
> (see /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove all rhgb kernel command line
> parameters).  Probably something related to the kernel DRM/DRI stuff,
> although the problem persists regardless of kernel I boot (the .11 kernel had
> been working fine, but with the new Xorg it didn't).

Thanks but actually, I have already tried it by removing "rhgb
quiet" from grub to see what happened and X still died. X dies
after rhgb ends.

I don't think that this has anything to do with with the kernel.
I downloaded Ubuntu 5.10 and tried to install and the same thing
happened. They use 2.6.12... It must be either the radeon driver
that is bad or X itself.

Other people have reported having similar problem with ATI on
both Suse 10 and Ubuntu 5.10, so it must be something recent in X.