[CentOS] mkfs.ext3 on a 9TB volume

Francois Caen frcaen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:02:21 UTC 2005

On 9/11/05, Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:
> ext2 and therefore ext3 was designed with a few GB disks in mind... XFS and
> JFS were both designed with multi TB disks in mind... Therefore it _should_
> work better if you use one of those more modern fs...

My concern with xfs, reiser or jfs is not really how good they are,
but how well they are implemented/supported in CentOS.

My application is a huge backup-to-disk samba-accessed storage.
Performance and fsck-caused downtime are not important to me.
Integrity of the data is critical.

I need the most reliable multi-TB filesystem I can use with CentOS/RHEL.

And it's hard to choose between the better-but-less-supported
xfs/reiser/... or the well-supported but not that multi-TB-friendly
ext3...

Francois