[CentOS] The role of /.autorelabel

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Mon Sep 12 18:51:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 10:30 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> I could not get vsftpd to start; kept getting the "vsftpd Dead Subsys
> Locked" error.  On doing a Google search, I came across a fix (lost
> the site unfortunately) and as I recall, it has something to do with
> copying a file and having the incorrect SElinux settings (I have
> SElinux disabled).
>
> The fix was to do a fixfiles, relabel (commands that I have never
> used) or a touch of "/.autorelabel" and rebooting.
>
> It worked, but I have no idea of what I did (my lack of in depth
> knowledge of Linux).

/etc/rc.sysinit checks for the presence of /.autorelabel on startup, and
if found it relabels all the files in the filesystem with their default
SELinux file context as per the current policy. Obviously you didn't
disable SELinux as effectively as you thought...

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://centos.ivazquez.net/