[CentOS] Are PHP and MySQL running on my CentOS installation?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Sat Sep 17 05:32:17 UTC 2005

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I'm looking for a community that is looking to help me get into the
> world of Linux, via their distribution. If the CentOS community is not
> that kind of community, one that helps Newbies, then that would be a
> little sad as I've invested so much work in getting CentOS to meet my
> needs, and I've felt that overall the CentOS community has been very
> welcoming. But if this group, or it's moderators, do not have the
> patience to help a newbie who does not know why a YUM installation
> question is on topic but a PHP installation question isn't, please
> direct me to the community and or distribution that is.

I would say be patient with the list. Most people here are helpful and
friendly. There's just a bad run lately of people picking at tiny portions
of posts and making them into off-topic personal pissing matches
(including myself as a guilty party here). As a consequence the list has
started to turn zero tolerance all of a sudden. I wouldn't take this as
the norm.

If it gets to be too much (which I personally don't think it is, yet)
Ubuntu and FreeBSD have fantastic user communities with very pragmattic
users who just want to get stuff done. Ubuntu is a rough, but very high
quality distribution. I run CentOS, even on my laptop, so I don't prefer
Ubuntu. But my experience with it and the user community was very good.

Preston