[CentOS] Are PHP and MySQL running on my CentOS installation?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 17 05:31:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 14:11 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Thank you for the helpful advice. I have not yet undertaken some of the
> steps recommended here, but I will soon and report back anything that
> requires further clarification.
>
> But I did want to speak to this issue of whether or not this is an
> appropriate place to address these issues.
>
> First, let me clarify that this issue is not how to run PHP or MySQL in
> general. It's that I thought I had installed these applications when I
> installed CentOS. To determine whether or not they are working is in
> part a matter of trying to find out how much I can assume about the
> CentOS installation process. Was the PHP application offered in the
> installer the full PHP service I need to run PHP scripts on my computer?
> I think this is at least, in some ways, related to CentOS, as it's
> CentOS which is the environment that has determined what version of PHP
> I'm running and what settings it has.
>
> But further than that, when I was first looking for a Linux
> distribution, one of my criteria was trying to find one that had a large
> and helpful community of support. For the most part, this list and the
> CentOS community has met that need.
>
> But I will have questions where, like in this instance, I am not so sure
> about the borders between the application and the operating system, and
> I need help clarifying that so that I can take my queries to the right
> place for the right reasons. I mean, I don't understand why questions I,
> and others, have had about installing and configuring (and even running)
> KDE, Gnome, Gpilot, YUM, and installing OpenOffice and other
> applications were answered here without comment about their suitability
> for this list, but how to install and configure PHP is deemed
> inappropriate.
>
> I'm looking for a community that is looking to help me get into the
> world of Linux, via their distribution. If the CentOS community is not
> that kind of community, one that helps Newbies, then that would be a
> little sad as I've invested so much work in getting CentOS to meet my
> needs, and I've felt that overall the CentOS community has been very
> welcoming. But if this group, or it's moderators, do not have the
> patience to help a newbie who does not know why a YUM installation
> question is on topic but a PHP installation question isn't, please
> direct me to the community and or distribution that is.
----
No - it was appropriate - you should feel free to ask away. I think
Karanbir was a bit too jumpy from other threads this week.

All of the Red Hat lists are un-moderated and they work. There are no
'rules' as of this point - at least none published on the web site. At
this point, there are no moderators and you should feel free to post
your questions. Sometimes things get off-topic and that's not the worst
thing.

You shouldn't have to configure php and apache at all if you put your
files in /var/www/html. If you put them anywhere else, you undoubtedly
would have to do some configuration (system-config-httpd) if necessary,
edit /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf and if necessary...

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/selinux-
guide/

Craig