[CentOS] Quota

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Mon Sep 26 22:53:26 UTC 2005

First you must enable quota on your filesystem.  Then set quota limits
for each user or group with edquota or setquota.

This can all be done from the command line.  Some file editing is required.

RTFM here
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-disk-quotas.html

One additional note, if you want to 'quotacheck /' then it is best to
boot into runlevel 1, or once booted up, run 'init 1' (or you can supply
the -m flag to quotacheck)

# This example will set a soft limit of 1,000,000k = 1Gig
# and a hard limit of 1.1 * the soft limit (which is a simple rule I
like to use)
# no inode (number of files) limits
# on the / filesystem.  If you have /home then it probably belongs there.
setquota -u user1 1000000 1100000 0 0 /

John.