[CentOS] CentOS 3 -> logins

Kirk Bocek

t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Sep 6 19:52:15 UTC 2005

It took me a bunch of googling and a few dead ends to figure this one out.

You want to edit your /etc/syslog.conf file. Change the line that reads:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none               /var/log/messages

to read:

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;auth.!=info            /var/log/messages

Then add:

auth.info                                               /var/log/auth.info

And you probably want to add the new /var/log/auth.info to /etc/logrotate.d as well.

This will move all of the auth messages to a separate file. It looks to me like all
the messages are coming from the use of a new PAM module. Every time a cron job fires
there is a round of authentication that gets logged. That's a problem if you've got
jobs firing every couple of minutes like I do.

Kirk Bocek