[SPAM] Re: [CentOS] dag repo and perl dependencies naming

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 21:56:58 UTC 2006

On 4/23/06, sophana <sophana at zizi.ath.cx> wrote:
> did some investigations
> # yum install amavisd-new
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> Server: dries el3 repo
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> ......Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package amavisd-new needs perl(Digest::MD5) >= 2.22, this is not available.
> Package amavisd-new needs perl(Time::HiRes) >= 1.49, this is not available.
>
> perl-Time-HiRes is version 1.38 in the centos 3 repo.
> So this is normal it doesn't work.

Do you think you're mixing enough 3rd party repositories there?
You've got 2 that I wouldn't touch at all... ATrpms stable, and ATrpms
testing. ATrpms has a nasty reputation for replacing system packages,
and generally being unstable (meaning you can quickly wreck your
system using it).

> however I don't understand this bug:
> # yum install rpm
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> Server: dries el3 repo
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> .......Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package rpm-libs needs rpm = 4.2.3-24_nonptl, this is not available.
> # rpm  -q rpm
> rpm-4.2.3-10
> # ls /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs*
> /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-21_nonptl.i386.hdr
> /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-24_nonptl.i386.hdr
>
> I noticed lots of bugs in yum. This is really annoying.

This looks like the rpm-libs package its trying to update doesn't have
a matching rpm for rpm. I'd say that this is likely due to the number
of repositories you're using, and likely a direct result of mixing
ATrpms with all the other repos. This goes back to what I mentioned
earlier about doing destructive things to your system. It's not a
problem of yum, etc.. but rather the expected result of mixing so many
repositories, and in particular 2 very unstable repos.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be