[CentOS] dag repo and perl dependencies naming

sophana sophana at zizi.ath.cx
Mon Apr 24 09:35:08 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:

>On 4/23/06, sophana <sophana at zizi.ath.cx> wrote:
>

>>did some investigations
>># yum install amavisd-new
>>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
>>Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
>>Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
>>Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>>Server: dries el3 repo
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
>>Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
>>Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
>>Finding updated packages
>>Downloading needed headers
>>Resolving dependencies
>>......Unable to satisfy dependencies
>>Package amavisd-new needs perl(Digest::MD5) >= 2.22, this is not available.
>>Package amavisd-new needs perl(Time::HiRes) >= 1.49, this is not available.
>>
>>perl-Time-HiRes is version 1.38 in the centos 3 repo.
>>So this is normal it doesn't work.
>>

>Do you think you're mixing enough 3rd party repositories there?
>You've got 2 that I wouldn't touch at all... ATrpms stable, and ATrpms
>testing. ATrpms has a nasty reputation for replacing system packages,
>and generally being unstable (meaning you can quickly wreck your
>system using it).

you're right. I forgot to remove atrpms test.
Note that I never do a general yum update. So my system should not be
totally wrecked.

>>however I don't understand this bug:
>># yum install rpm
>>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
>>Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
>>Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
>>Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>>Server: dries el3 repo
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
>>Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
>>Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
>>Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
>>Finding updated packages
>>Downloading needed headers
>>Resolving dependencies
>>.......Unable to satisfy dependencies
>>Package rpm-libs needs rpm = 4.2.3-24_nonptl, this is not available.
>># rpm  -q rpm
>>rpm-4.2.3-10
>># ls /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs*
>>/var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-21_nonptl.i386.hdr
>>/var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-24_nonptl.i386.hdr
>>
>>I noticed lots of bugs in yum. This is really annoying.
>>

>This looks like the rpm-libs package its trying to update doesn't have
>a matching rpm for rpm. I'd say that this is likely due to the number
>of repositories you're using, and likely a direct result of mixing
>ATrpms with all the other repos. This goes back to what I mentioned
>earlier about doing destructive things to your system. It's not a
>problem of yum, etc.. but rather the expected result of mixing so many
>repositories, and in particular 2 very unstable repos.

Sorry, I did the wrong ls.
The needed package does exist:

# ls rpm-0*
rpm-0-4.2.3-21_nonptl.i386.hdr  rpm-0-4.2.3-24_nonptl.i386.hdr

Isn't it a bug?
The problem is that I would like to use apt or smart, but I'm blocked
because of that.