[SPAM] Re: [CentOS] dag repo and perl dependencies naming

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Apr 24 08:44:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 23:19 +0200, sophana wrote:
> > did some investigations
> > # yum install amavisd-new
> > Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
> > Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
> > Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> > Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > Server: dries el3 repo
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> > Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> > Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
> > Finding updated packages
> > Downloading needed headers
> > Resolving dependencies
> > ......Unable to satisfy dependencies
> > Package amavisd-new needs perl(Digest::MD5) >= 2.22, this is not available.
> > Package amavisd-new needs perl(Time::HiRes) >= 1.49, this is not available.
> >
> > perl-Time-HiRes is version 1.38 in the centos 3 repo.
> > So this is normal it doesn't work.
> >
> > however I don't understand this bug:
> > # yum install rpm
> > Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
> > Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
> > Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> > Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > Server: dries el3 repo
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> > Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> > Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> > Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
> > Finding updated packages
> > Downloading needed headers
> > Resolving dependencies
> > .......Unable to satisfy dependencies
> > Package rpm-libs needs rpm = 4.2.3-24_nonptl, this is not available.
> > # rpm  -q rpm
> > rpm-4.2.3-10
> > # ls /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs*
> > /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-21_nonptl.i386.hdr
> > /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-24_nonptl.i386.hdr
> >
> > I noticed lots of bugs in yum. This is really annoying.
>
> There is not a bug in yum (well, not in this case ... I'm sure yum has
> some bugs) ... the problem is that the repositories that you have chosen
> have conflicting packages, or you are not pointed to the proper CentOS
> repos.

This is a bug in Yum. Yum only considers the latest version of amavisd-new
and that one has unresolved dependencies.

I have a problem here. I try so hard not to replace core packages, but
amavisd-new needs a newer perl module that is a core package.

Either people complain that I replace core packages, or they complain that
I do not have amavisd-new 3.4 and if I provide both, Yum would complain
anyway because it is stupid. That's why I always suggest to use either apt
or smart as they are much smarter in resolving problems and providing you
with a working set of packages.

> Please understand that adding 3rd party repositories and performing an
> update will replace core packages in CentOS.

Yes, and what would you expect, I can not provide a recent amavisd-new
without replacing core packages. And if I don't people complain as well.
To be honest I'm getting tired of this :(

Kind regards,