[SPAM] Re: [CentOS] dag repo and perl dependencies naming

Sun Apr 23 21:56:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 23:19 +0200, sophana wrote:
> did some investigations
> # yum install amavisd-new
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> Server: dries el3 repo
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> ......Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package amavisd-new needs perl(Digest::MD5) >= 2.22, this is not available.
> Package amavisd-new needs perl(Time::HiRes) >= 1.49, this is not available.
>
> perl-Time-HiRes is version 1.38 in the centos 3 repo.
> So this is normal it doesn't work.
>
> however I don't understand this bug:
> # yum install rpm
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Addons
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 stable
> Server: ATrpms for rhel 3 testing
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Base
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> Server: dries el3 repo
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Extras
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable)
> Server: kde-redhat.org (kde-stable-all)
> Server: CentOS-3.3 - Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> .......Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package rpm-libs needs rpm = 4.2.3-24_nonptl, this is not available.
> # rpm  -q rpm
> rpm-4.2.3-10
> # ls /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs*
> /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-21_nonptl.i386.hdr
> /var/cache/yum/base/headers/rpm-libs-0-4.2.3-24_nonptl.i386.hdr
>
> I noticed lots of bugs in yum. This is really annoying.

There is not a bug in yum (well, not in this case ... I'm sure yum has
some bugs) ... the problem is that the repositories that you have chosen
have conflicting packages, or you are not pointed to the proper CentOS
repos.

Please understand that adding 3rd party repositories and performing an
update will replace core packages in CentOS.

Also, with the proper version of CentOS release installed, it will say:

CentOS-3 Base (and Addons, Extras, etc.) ... not CentOS-3.3

So ... somehow it seems that you do not have the proper centos-release
installed, and that you are not getting the proper updates.

Your yum.conf file for CentOS-3 should look like this for the CentOS
portion if that file:
-----------------
[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

#released updates
[update]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1

#additional packages that may be useful
[extras]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
AND ... you should have this centos-release file:

centos-release-3-7.1

I'm not sure exactly what you have in your yum.conf ... but I just
installed from a 3.3 CD and updated to 3.7 with no problems at all as a
test.