[SPAM] Re: [CentOS] dag repo and perl dependencies naming

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Apr 24 10:39:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
> > > There is not a bug in yum (well, not in this case ... I'm sure yum has
> > > some bugs) ... the problem is that the repositories that you have chosen
> > > have conflicting packages, or you are not pointed to the proper CentOS
> > > repos.
> >
> > This is a bug in Yum. Yum only considers the latest version of amavisd-new
> > and that one has unresolved dependencies.
> >
> > I have a problem here. I try so hard not to replace core packages, but
> > amavisd-new needs a newer perl module that is a core package.
> >
> > Either people complain that I replace core packages, or they complain that
> > I do not have amavisd-new 3.4 and if I provide both, Yum would complain
> > anyway because it is stupid.
>
> The problem is that you have to replace *perl* to meet the dependency on
> Digest::MD5 amavisd-new is having. Because of the shitty @INC ordering
> in RHEL (*and* perl itself) you cannot even push a new Digest::MD5 to
> vendor_perl/ or site_perl/ as that is not going to be picked up:
>
> |   @INC:
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0
> |     /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
>
> There's a bugzilla entry concerning that (which I cannot find anymore at
> the moment), but it didn't look like RH wanted to change that.

Correct, I would have to replace perl. That's why I don't :)

> So I don't think that this is a yum bug, this is a bug in RedHat's perl
> packaging, as you are not able to override modules which are included
> with the core perl package. And that hasn't change up to FC5.

It's a bug in Yum that it does not consider the previous amavisd-new. Apt
and smart would do that. This allows me to provide a newer amavisd-new for
those people that do provide a newer perl-Digest-MD5 (there are multiple
ways you can fix the dependencies and run amavisd-new).

But Yum truly fails to work now, or I have to stop offer the latest
amavisd-new. This is a flaw in Yum in my opinion, and a flaw in the
repository in Seth's opinion.

And that's why am I now practically forced to follow the lowest common
denominator, which is Yum.

Sorry if I didn't make that obvious in my previous mail.

Kind regards,