[SPAM] Re: [CentOS] dag repo and perl dependencies naming

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 16:42:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 05:39, Dag Wieers wrote:

> > There's a bugzilla entry concerning that (which I cannot find anymore at
> > the moment), but it didn't look like RH wanted to change that.
>
> Correct, I would have to replace perl. That's why I don't :)

I thought perl could be perfectly happy with multiple versions
living on the same machine as long as you keep your paths
straight.  There should be no need to replace the existing
one to install something newer.

> > So I don't think that this is a yum bug, this is a bug in RedHat's perl
> > packaging, as you are not able to override modules which are included
> > with the core perl package. And that hasn't change up to FC5.
>
> It's a bug in Yum that it does not consider the previous amavisd-new. Apt
> and smart would do that. This allows me to provide a newer amavisd-new for
> those people that do provide a newer perl-Digest-MD5 (there are multiple
> ways you can fix the dependencies and run amavisd-new).

It is an unrealistic expectation in both RPM and yum that you
won't ever need to run multiple versions of some programs on
the same machine at the same time.   Is this the first time
you've seen this problem?  Pretty much every developer that
needs a stable version working while he tests the next one
should have run into it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com