[CentOS] Installing DNS

Barry L. Kline blkline at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 25 14:12:25 UTC 2006

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I have completed downloading the BIND software onto the system in question, and
> I am now ready to configure the DNS server. The type of server I want to create
> is a caching server. The reason for this is I want the system to resolve
> hostnames exclusively within a private network, 192.168.0.x, and the server will
> NOT have access to the Internet. I know I will need to modify the
> /etc/named.conf and other files but I am not familiar with what settings are
> needed. What tools and/or entries can I use to complete the configuration of the
> server? Thanks.

If I'm interpreting your requirements properly then you do not want a
caching nameserver.  That would be used to make inquiries of other
nameservers and then store the result for faster retrieval later.
Typically you would use one if you had an internet connection and wanted
it to forward requests to outside DNS servers.  Your internal clients
would use your caching nameserver to get their information.

I'm guessing that you want to have a nameserver for your internal
network and that there are none presently available.

Before you even start, I'd look over the following docs:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html  (old, but informative)

Then:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/ch-bind.html

Once you get started you can search the archives or post to the list
with additional, more specific questions.

Barry