[CentOS] Installing DNS

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 22:14:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 17:06 +0300, Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
> > Hi there --
> Hi,
>
> > I have completed downloading the BIND software onto the system in question, and
> > I am now ready to configure the DNS server. The type of server I want to create
> > is a caching server. The reason for this is I want the system to resolve
> > hostnames exclusively within a private network, 192.168.0.x, and the server will
> > NOT have access to the Internet. I know I will need to modify the
> > /etc/named.conf and other files but I am not familiar with what settings are
> > needed. What tools and/or entries can I use to complete the configuration of the
> > server? Thanks.
> Are you really sure you need a caching nameserver... ?
>
> The cache, needs well... something to cache... Usually that something
> is 'the Internet' ;) however in your case, it will be the authoritive
> server for your intranet (you do have one, right. or not... ?).

I'm ignorant about all this, so "eyes wide open" here.

He did not say if other nodes accessed the net... I assume so using the
same logic you follow, but adding together his "not have access" phrase
and his thought that he needs a caching server. However, that should
mean that his server needs access to the 'net to gather the information.

But, IIUC, a local authoritative or caching server is not needed just to
have the local network resolve local names.

> Now, if my guess is right, you actually want to setup a DNS server
> that is authoritive for your local domains (and not a caching server).

If his local net is large or complex, I think so too. Small net (low
maintenance effort) has options?

I believe that proper configuration of /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts
(or some other software?) will suffice for *small* networks local name
resolution. I don't believe a caching server provides any benefit just
for that, but it would if the network does have nodes that access the
'net. These accesses are likely to require recursive processes and a
caching server could provide some benefit, dependent on volume.

> Make sure you choose your internal domainnames wisely, it is
> advisable to avoid creating internal TLDs that are used publicly
> (that is instead of naming your internal domains: accounting.com
> management.com and so on, name your local domains using a TLD like
> .i or .0 whatever that are safe to use).

<snip sig stuff and url>

If a caching server is needed, which I suspect, and if an authoritative
server is desirable (large local net causes maintenance issues?) then I
think he needs server that is authoritative (eliminates maint.
of /etc/hosts, etc.), recursive (provides the complete resolution
regardless of inter/intra net in this case) and caching (natural side-
effect of being recursive? Reduces recursive operations).

HTH
--
Bill