[CentOS] bring back sub shells

Andreas Micklei andreas.micklei at ivistar.de
Fri Dec 15 23:15:23 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 19:43 +0100, Andreas Micklei wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, 12. Dezember 2006 18:56 schrieb Dustin Krysak:
>>
>>> For example, if i do run it with the & at the end it does what I want,
>>> yet obviously (to my knowledge) you can't get back to the subshell
>>>
>> Type in "fg" which means foreground. Also works for jobs suspended
>> with "Ctrl-Z". "bg" can be used to put jobs suspended with "Ctrl-Z" into the
>> background (as if run with &).
>>
>> Googling for "job control" could help. I would also suggest reading a
>> UNIX/Linux Shell Tutorial. It's worth learning a few helpful commands to get
>> your everyday shell work done quicker.
>>

> Googling? Do man bash and read up on job control.

Do you really suggest that to a beginner with no prior knowledge of job
control? The bash manpage contains way to much detail information that
you really don't want to know when playing around with fg and bg for the
first time. It's a great reference when you already know the basics and
want to learn about the details, but heavy reading for a beginner.

regards,
Andreas Micklei