[CentOS] bring back sub shells

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Dec 16 23:31:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 00:15 +0100, Andreas Micklei wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:

> >> Type in "fg" which means foreground. Also works for jobs suspended
> >> with "Ctrl-Z". "bg" can be used to put jobs suspended with "Ctrl-Z" into the
> >> background (as if run with &).
> >>
> >> Googling for "job control" could help. I would also suggest reading a
> >> UNIX/Linux Shell Tutorial. It's worth learning a few helpful commands to get
> >> your everyday shell work done quicker.
> >>

> > Googling? Do man bash and read up on job control.
> >
> Do you really suggest that to a beginner with no prior knowledge of job
> control?

Yes! Most certainly. See below.

>  The bash manpage contains way to much detail information that
> you really don't want to know when playing around with fg and bg for the
> first time. It's a great reference when you already know the basics and
> want to learn about the details, but heavy reading for a beginner.

Agreed. But I may have a failing that others do not. I have faith that
if they are installing CentOS, doing networking, ... they have both the
intelligence and initiative to undertake learning complex software
configuration and coding constructs. Each also has the innate ability to
judge when they need to ask for help or search on the web for it, in my
estimation.

This may be a failing of my having learned shell programming without the
aid of teachers, tutorials or anything other than a man page. Yes, I
stumbled. Going was initially slow. But I fell my depth of learning and
expertise was increased by my effort. I just wish I had been so astute
when major enhancements were introduced instead of having to swallow all
the changes in one big gulp.

> regards,
> Andreas Micklei

I'm a strong believer in the ability of the individual and am against
spoon-feeding as the first step in learning. It stifles creativity,
reduces the "imprinting" of knowledge that comes with "learning the hard
way" and makes dependents of potential independents. I guess I'm just
too "old school" for today's attitudes.

> <snip sig stuff>

MO
--