[CentOS] Directory server (is there)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 15 15:33:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 11:49 -0300, Luis Alejandro Cazzola wrote:
> I want the directory server, but in the faqs say that redhat was no free the
> src of the directory server, and i dont know why? if they use GPL software,
> i think they "must" free the src of that server.
> I found an rpm at fedora project that say thats the directory server, but
> obviusly it is not stable because of is not a redhat enterprise soft, but
> anyway i had installed on my centos 4.2 , but its have a lot of errors and
> not working.
> Anybody have a directory server running on  centos ??
> can help me to do it?
----
There are still some issues with building Fedora Directory server from
source. Red Hat has committed the project to open source and has
released it with a GPL license but getting it to build is obviously a
problem. If you are running CentOS, there is no reason why you can't
install the binaries that are already built...you can download the
binaries here...

http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Download

I haven't had any issues with using Fedora Directory server and there is
a mail list that supports Fedora Directory server here...

You should know that CentOS comes with (a fairly outdated) version of
OpenLDAP which can be installed simply with the command...

# yum install openldap-server

Administration Guide for above is here
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/

If you want to install current OpenLDAP, you will have to install from
source - see this...

http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/

HTH

Craig