[CentOS] printing server via http

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 15 17:14:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 08:22 -0800, JC wrote:
> is there any linux module out there that can accomplish this?
>
> Thanks
> JC
>
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Jeff Kinz wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 06:36:54AM -0800, JC wrote:
> >> Well, the reason i'm asking this because I got it to work in Windows 2003
> >> Server where all my printers can "put" on the web
> >> (http://www.mywebsite.com/printers) so people who access
> >> http://www.mywebsite.com/printers can see all my printers, then they can
> >> connect and print to it.  Of course I'll require username & password
> >> before they can access printer resources.
> >>

> > Fastest way to do this is "share" the printer with one of those Win
> > boxes and let the web user's access it through that system.
> >
> > Since  everything else is already setup this reduces the amount of work
> > you have to do to get it working.

----
I don't know of any Linux method of doing that but it probably would
entail some apache methodology or a Rewrite Rule.

Samba is pretty much gonna be required for sharing resources to Windows
users and within Samba, you can easily setup 'Point & Print' stuff where
the driver is installed in the samba server printer share and then all a
user need to do to access the printer (install the driver if necessary),
is \\SAMBA_SERVER_NAME\PRINTER_NAME

Perhaps you can accomplish the same thing with apache server once the
above is working by doing something like this...

mkdir /var/www/html/printers /var/www/html/printers/printer_name

and in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf # at the bottom...

RedirectPermanent /printer/printer_name/ \
file://\\\SERVER_NAME\PRINTER_NAME

but this is completely untested and I haven't a clue that this
methodology would work (and of course you would have to have httpd
running).

Craig