Returning to - Re: [CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:31:53 UTC 2006

> It SEEMs that jpackage has a java JDK that I can use?
>
> http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3319

That's not a java jdk, that's the compatibility rpm. As their
description says "This package provides JPackage compatibility
symlinks and directories for the vendor's JDK rpm." All it does is
provide links.

> It is 1.5.0 and the Centos instructions
> (http://www.scalix.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=516&highlight=centos)
> recommend 1.4.2, but oh well.

Did you LOOK at the jpackage page? There are packages for 1.4.2 java
versions also. Keep in mind, you still have to get java from
java.sun.com.

> So do I put in 2 yum repros in /etc/yum.repos.d?
>
> CentOS-Base.repo
>
> is currently in there.
>
> Can I add:
>
> jpackage.repo
>
> and install their gpg key?
>
> then:  yum install java-1.5.0-sun-compat     ???

Do you want 1.5, or 1.4.2?

> After that, a yum update would first hit the Centos site for updates,
> then the jpackage?

This will give you access to the packages that jpackage can distribute, yes.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety''
Benjamin Franklin 1775