[CentOS] Centos vs FC

ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Wed Feb 22 11:57:04 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 4:35 am, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Can someone pls tell me the up and down between Centos and FC?
> I'm familiar with FC4 and some things that I like from it:
> 1. The available packages are abundant. Very easy to find packages for FC4.
> 2. The user list is very active and friendly too.

1. There is a decent selection of software for CentOS / RHEL. Especially
commercial software. If you are brave, many Fedora Core 3 packages will work
on CentOS 4. However, if you are looking for the newest mp3 player or latest
version of bzflag, fedora will most likely have it, CentOS won't.

2. There's a much smaller CentOS user base (I suspect). However, the HUGE
amount of documentation, training classes, and info on the web about RHEL
applies directly to CentOS.