[CentOS] Centos vs FC

Wed Feb 22 19:23:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 06:57 -0500, ryan wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February 2006 4:35 am, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Can someone pls tell me the up and down between Centos and FC?
> > I'm familiar with FC4 and some things that I like from it:
> > 1. The available packages are abundant. Very easy to find packages for FC4.
> > 2. The user list is very active and friendly too.
>
> 1. There is a decent selection of software for CentOS / RHEL. Especially
> commercial software. If you are brave, many Fedora Core 3 packages will work
> on CentOS 4. However, if you are looking for the newest mp3 player or latest
> version of bzflag, fedora will most likely have it, CentOS won't.
>
> 2. There's a much smaller CentOS user base (I suspect). However, the HUGE
> amount of documentation, training classes, and info on the web about RHEL
> applies directly to CentOS.

This is a good spot to quote some stats...

I think centos is bigger than most people think :)

We have more than 80 public mirrors around the world.

CentOS distributes between 2 and 3 terabytes of updates in the average
week from our 16 servers.  That does not include rsyncs to mirrors, ISO
downloads OR updates from public mirrors ... that is just yum and
up2date updates from the rrdns mirror.centos.org.

Total traffic of all our servers is about 6 terabytes per week.

We have between 70,000 and 80,000 unique IP addresses download updates
from our servers every week.  We have about 800,000 unique IP's served
in the last year on mirror.centos.org.

We are ranked in the top 8 linux distros with nearly 100,000 webservers
running CentOS.
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html

www.centos.org has about 120,000 unique IP visitors per month,  we get
8,500 individual visitors per day.  We serve 1.2 million pages per
month, have 7 million hits per month, and had 1.3 million visits to the
website last year.

Our ranking on alexa.com is through the roof, compare centos to any
distro out there, we are looking pretty good.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=centos.org

Now, if we could get people to make some donations :)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes