[CentOS] Re: Kernel update and csgfs

Thu Jan 19 16:26:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 07:55 -0800, John Thomas wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> <snip>
> >> I though dependency tracking was what yum and rpms were for?  If I
> >> installed the cman-kernel package via yum, shouldn't I get a dependency
> >> warning if I try to install the new kernel?  I know I would get one if I
> >> tried to install the current cman-kernel package on top of the new
> >> kernel.
> >>
> > If it were an upgrade/update and not an install ... that might work.
> >
> > But since nothing is trying to remove the old kernel (just install a new
> > one too), the install requirements remain meet.
> >
> > IF then booting the new kernel, all hell breaks loose :)
> >
> > IF booting the old kernel ... still good to go.
> >

> Is there a way to know if the new Kernel will work, in other words have
> Yum do its dependency checking as if it were an upgrade?  My server is
> remote, so if the new kernel does not boot I am in trouble.

Not that I know of ... short of trying to remove the old kernel (which I
don't recommend).

It would be a 3rd party driver for a major item (like the disk driver
for the root file system, a NIC driver for the main ethernet card, etc.)
where this would be a problem.

Even then, the fix would be have someone select the old kernel on boot
up, and boot back to that and build a new driver.

> I am a noob (partial Windows convert) so I am not smart (or remember
> what I did) enough to know  if it will work.  In that regard, thank
> goodness for Yum otherwise.

If you have ever updated the kernel before, then it should not be an
issue on future updates ... as the non-standard (aka, 3rd party) driver
issue is something that would happen every new kernel.