[CentOS] Using Centos

Fri Jan 27 21:54:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 12:07 -0800, Alex Chen wrote:
> We need to resell systems that run commercial software on Linux. We were
> using Red Hat ES 3 originally.
> But we later realize that we cannot redistribute RHES without paying
> them huge subscription fee because of the trademark.
> I came across CentOS from WBEL mailing list.  This looks like a godsend
> to me. I have some questions regarding CentOS.
> I would appreciate it if someone can provide me the answers:
>
> 1. Can I use your package to install a machine for resell?  Is there fee
> involved?  Do you have any EULA that I can get?

It's GPL, that is the EULA.

> 2. I believe it is RHES based, what is the version matrix corresponding
> to Red Hat ES?

CentOS-4.2 is EL4 update 2.  It is most closely related to the AS
product.

> 3. Does it have extra stuff other than vanilla RHES added?

Yes and no.  If you use just the [base] and [update] sections, the only
additions are yum and the items required to run yum.  The only changes
are as explained in the release notes.

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

> 4. If I decide to do the rebuild myself to remove the RH trademark
> stuff, what packages should I modify?

We modified everything in the OS tree that has a .centos4 in the name
(and the kernel, which does not have a .centos4 in the name due to 3rd
party drivers).

But, unless you plan to also rebuild every update and setup a mirror
system to distribute the updates to your customers, CentOS is probably
your best bet.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alex

Thanks,