[CentOS] agp video card direction

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Tue Jan 31 19:23:52 UTC 2006

Robert Hanson wrote:
> greetings
>
> i am thinking of purchasing a 256 meg or larger AGP video card
>
> my current card is a 128 meg nvidia geforce fx 5200 and i have a viewsonic
> vp201s lcd monitor
>
> are their larger memory AGP cards worth buying? i have no idea
>
> it will be for serious CentOS and Win XP integration and testing and
> eventually production issues...
>
> XP is a necessary support issue in these circumstances
>
> since i am not a gamer (used to duke nukem a long time ago etc) i am mainly
> looking for the best stability and quality price performance etc blah

If you're not playing games and you don't need to drive a giant screen,
your current card seems like plenty.  That said, if I was going to buy a
new card and placed some value on bang/buck, I'd probably stick with
something like the Nvidia 6800GT-based products.  They come in 256mb
flavors and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers,