[CentOS] How to display 2nd HDD

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 23:20:01 UTC 2006

On 03/07/06, Kirti S. Bajwa <kbajwa at tibonline.net> wrote:
> NO I did not mount the partition.
>
> How the name for the SLAVE device is assigned? In your example, you have
> used 'sdb1'. My understanding is that the SLAVE drive should be listed in
> /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab. Neither of these files exist.
>
> I am a newbie, so any help is appreciated.

The following will list the disks and their partitions...

# fdisk -l

/dev/hda is probably already partitioned and mounted. I'd guess your
old unmounted disk will be /dev/hdb, possibly /dev/hdc or hdd. If the
partitions are labelled you'll be able to tell what they were mounted
as with...

# e2label /dev/hdbN

... where N is the partition no. of each slice on the disk as revealed by fdisk.

Then you can mount these partitions somewhere temporarily to have a
root around in them/copy stuff out. For each partition...

# mkdir /mnt/old-disk-hdbN
# mount /dev/hdbN /mnt/old-disk-hdbN

Will.