[CentOS] How to display 2nd HDD

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Sun Jul 2 23:28:13 UTC 2006

> Now I want to display the contacts of the slave HDD (so I can copy few
> files). How do I display the second (slave) HDD?

I am assuming that you are referring to IDE drives, due to your referral
of a "slave" drive.  IDE drives are usually referenced as /dev/hdx where x
= the letter of the connected drive.  For example, the primary master is
/dev/hda, the primary slave is /dev/hdb, the secondary master is /dev/hdc,
and the secondary slave is /dev/hdd.

As root, type "fdisk -l".  This will list the partitions of the drives
connected to your system.  If this is a primary slave, it is most likely
"/dev/hdb".  If you have multiple partittions, you will want to choose
which partition(s) to mount.  You will need to create a directory for each
partition that you want to mount.  I might recommend creating /media/hdb1
/media/hdb2,etc.  Then you can mount each partition by typing "mount
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1" and "mount /dev/hdb2 /media/hdb2" .. etc.

Hope this helps.

Barry