[CentOS] Selectively updating protected repos

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 3 19:39:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 12:26 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 7/3/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > I don't see it happening in the current context. AFAICT, yum and/or rpm
> > "forget" where an installed package came from. Correct?
>
> Doesn't matter.  It would be sufficient if I could tell the [base] repo
>
> protect=1
> unprotect=firefox*
>
> I don't care if firefox always comes from the *same* repository, I
> want it to always be *the most recent* RPM from any/all of the enabled
> repositories.  I don't want to exclude it from the base repo list, I
> only want to exclude it from "protection".

I like that thought. It solves the current issue and a couple others
too.

Now if we can be sure that Yum understands that .rf, .plus, ... are all
the same packages, we're home free. But ... are they the same packages?
This may be a dumb question, but can we be sure firefox from one repo is
compatible with what a user runs? Kernel features differences, etc. For
firefox, maybe the answer is yes. Does that apply generally to other
packages too? Is the "unprotect" solution certain to be "generally
applicable"? OTOH, that is a user administration problem, isn't it?

--
Bill