[CentOS] Selectively updating protected repos

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 3 20:18:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 16:47 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:39:55PM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Now if we can be sure that Yum understands that .rf, .plus, ... are all
> > the same packages, we're home free. But ... are they the same packages?
> > This may be a dumb question, but can we be sure firefox from one repo is
> > compatible with what a user runs? Kernel features differences, etc. For
> > firefox, maybe the answer is yes. Does that apply generally to other
> > packages too? Is the "unprotect" solution certain to be "generally
> > applicable"? OTOH, that is a user administration problem, isn't it?
>
> Actually, that is a minor issue. RPM itself has the final vote on
> who is the newest package. So YUM really should not worry about it.
> At least, I hope YUM uses rpmVersionCompare.

You just provided the "connector" in my thinking. Another poster
mentions DB, RPM has a DB, RPM's DB retains the external name, the
external name contains ".rf", ".plus", ... Voila! Yum can, if it
chooses, use the RPM DB, tell which repo provided the currently
installed package instance, combine that with includepkgs/exclude,
(un)protect, .... Another DB (yum.conf, repos, ... or a DBMS) can
provide some additional "rules".

--
Bill