[CentOS] cyrus-sasl mysql backend

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Jul 5 11:11:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 01:48:40PM +0800, Feizhou enlightened us:
> I guess the references to my previous experience on FC2 do cloud things
> a bit.
>
> >I was merely pointing out the fact that recompiling an SRPM from a
> >different
> >distribution is not supported or recommended, and therefore 'bastardizing'
> >the OS. It was unclear what you had done from your first mail, but it
> >sounded awfully close to "I rebuilt the FC2 RPM on my CentOS box". If you
> >were offended by my tone, I appologize, but I'd recommend getting some
> >thicker skin in the future...I know perfectly well that RedHat doesn't ship
> >bug free software, or even software that is compatible with other software
> >in the distro. Reporting the problem is appreciated, but as I said, it was
> >unclear if you were reporting a problem with CentOS's RPM or FC2's RPM.
>
> Why would I use a source rpm from FC2? :)

That's what I was trying to figure out ;-)

> It's Centos/RHEL 4's cyrus-sasl rpm. Specifically, the cyrus-sasl-sql
> rpm. It appears all other code seem to work except for the sql plugin. I
> am not sure if that is due to configuration error, which seems unlikely
> since i copied the configuration for smtpd.conf from the FC2/Opteron
> box, or due to threading /sasl initialization issues.

You might be surprised. Sometimes a default setting is changed between
versions that you don't expect, or wasn't explicitly defined...

> >>An attempt to get a backtrace gives these results:
> >>
> >------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------
> >>All traces show the crash in _dl_sysinfo_int80 for those who are
> >>interested in licking this one. Are there any debug rpms available?
> >
> >Unfortunately the backtrace isn't terribly useful.
>
> Nope. All I could find from searching on the '_dl_sysinfo_int80 ()'
> string was something about threading or hyper-threading being enabled
> causing crashes...does Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz cpus have hyper-threading?

Most likely, yes. If you use the SMP kernel, you should see two processors.
You might poke around in the BIOS if you have time and see if you can
disable it and if that solves the problem. If so, it'd be handy to know for
future reference in the list archives.

> >The debug RPMs are stored at http://vault.centos.org/debuginfo *but* it
> >appears that the cyrus-* rpms are missing.
>
> Boo.
>

> >Do you have access to a true RHEL 4 machine? Can this be replicated there?
> >If so, reporting the issue upstream would be best, with an entry in
> >CentOS's
> >bug tracker with a pointer to the upstream bugzilla. If it can't be
> >replicated there, filing a bug report with CentOS would be the best course
> >of action.
>
> Wish I did have one...otherwise I would have just filed a bug report.
>
> Anyway, I recompiled the cyrus-sasl source rpm after enabling another
> plugin that I could make use of and now things are working for me...the
> the rebuilt sql plugin still crashes but the other plugin allows me to
> make use of the mysql tables I have without doing pam_mysql.
>
> I wonder what is it that is causing the crashes...the logs tell me that
> postfix initiated sasl initialization and then it crashes with no other
> information...but I guess I can drop it now...

Glad you at least got it working. I hope that doesn't mean you have time to
test without HT on, though ;-)

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak