[CentOS] Hosting

Charles Lacroix clacroix at cegep-ste-foy.qc.ca
Tue Jul 11 12:47:16 UTC 2006

On Monday 10 July 2006 19:48, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I use Cpanel currently, and have tried two other products in the past.
>
> It creates all of the FTP/www/mysql/mailman/ssh and other essentials in
> mere seconds.  It has about 25-35 different packages that it enables, like
> phpBB, php-nuke, post-nuke, e-107, mambo, geeklog, OSCommerce carts, you
> name it.  All from a single command line.
>
> Hook it up to your favorite domain provider through a vendor relationship,
> you can automate the entire domain selection/ web hosting/ site creation
> paradigm.  I'm used to having someone up in 10 minutes once they tell me
> the domain name desired, or they input it into my forms.
>
> Last step once you are big enough, is to hook in an online payment API
> like modernbill or ensim or other, these integrate with Cpanel, Plesk,
> H-Shpere and the like, and basically look/ feel like what the rest of the
> net runs when you visit folks like powersurge.net or whomever else of the
> bazillion hosting firms are out there.
>
> Be you small fry or juggernaut, most folks are using either Plesk or
> Cpanel or H-Sphere type tools to automate their hosted environments.
>
> A yearly license is around 400 US (install is included free of charge),
> but totally worth it when you consider it takes alot of time to sit and
> edit your zone files in DNS manually, httpd.conf, and mysql command, and
> FTP server commands.
>
> Ick, it makes me shudder to remember back to those days.  whew.  those
> darn typos every now and again in a virtualhost directory statement, or
> worse yet, a missing dot or forgotten serial number increment in a zone
> file.
>
> CentOS is the favorite of Cpanel and H-Shpere vendors these days, and
> Plesk seems to be a WinTel type firm, -who's coders and support teams are
> based in yes, Russia.  Cpanel is in Virginia I think, and H-sphere/Comodo
> are canada/germany combo, known as Positive Software, but under constant
> internal shift for whatever reason.
>
> Cpanel has shown me the best support model, when they fail to answer a
> question I ask for two hours (once in 2 years), they automatically award
> you a high-priority $65.00 phone incident.  They are fast and won't leave
> you hanging, often just beaming onto the server and fixing rare breakage
> one might cause performing normal maintenance.
>
> CentOS is highly appealing because the user community is deeply
> informative and quick to respond.  This is perhaps one of the many reasons
> vendors put in one of the top positions for what OS to install their
> product on, if not *the* top.
>
> -be well, and good luck in your hosting!
>
> -karlski
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am using Centos 4.3 to host various web sites that I maintain.  I am
> > finding that I am getting more and more, and I have thought of setting up
> > hosting server to make things quicker for my self. I have setup webmin
> > with
> [...]

Recently i configured a webserver for a friend of mine and webmin was what
the webmaster enjoyed the most :)

I find it easy to setup and once you cut off ¾ of the icons on the webmin
interface it starts to look good.

I never trusted cpannel, things break here and there for no reason.

later,
charles

--
Charles Lacroix, Administrateur UNIX.
Service des télécommunications et des technologies